Friday, January 25, 2013

The First of Many - The Studio

Keith Haring Inspiration



 And so we begin. I am enormously excited about this coming week and my very first group of moms and toddlers who are set to join The Studio for a weekly group filled with a variety of activities.

The focus of The Studio will be on the whole child while while enjoying art and craft; music and movement; sand and water play ; free play time and of course a story to end it all.
Next week will be the very first week of many. It is the beginning of my new Moms and Kids @ The Studio group. The group is designed for children 18months  to 2 and a half years old.  We have been hard at work painting a Keith Haring sort of mural which is hopefully going to inspire the parents and children into action. What is it that sets me apart from other groups like this. I am a qualified pre-school teacher and I have four of my own children. I love the way children think and figure things out. Over the years I have come to really understand the uniqueness of each child that passes through our doors . One of the things time and parental experience has taught me, is that each child has his or her very own, special gifts and talents. It is a tough world out there and it is a joy and privileged to offer a safe and friendly, nurturing and caring environment where moms, dads, grannies and or helpers can share some one to one time with their child.







What else might set The Studio apart from all the other groups? 

One of my aims for this little group is to empower parents to use the ideas we share in the group as a foundation for building their own ideas. I studied teaching at a point in South African history when preschool ideas were new and Early Childhood Education was not seen as something to be valued. Over the last 20 years the education of young children has become a central focus. There are countless shops that offer educational toys and games.
But because of the timing of my education and the vision of the institution at which I studied, I have a vision and heart for using things in the home and for making educational and fun games, toys and instruments. I hope to share some of these unique ideas with parents and care givers. 

In addition I plan to share and use the many, many ideas I have gathered over all the years I have taught and educated as well as parented . I aim to provide a fun and encouraging space for children to explore and have enormous fun while learning. and so my motto is 


Learning through play!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment